The following songs are only to be brought out in extreme emergencies during essay writing. They are not - NOT! – to be used in ordinary times. The cheese may cause overload otherwise.
1. Miley Cyrus – The Climb (because it’s about the process of writing this damn thing, not just getting there).
2. Chipmunk ft. Chris Brown – Champions (some of us have to learn to organise ourselves better should really be the lyrics).
3. Michael Jackson – Man in The Mirror (yes, we look at ourselves and our society, and we call for the change. A change to our essay deadlines, a change to the general world that requires ridiculous academia).
4. Bloc Party – The Prayer (just to break up the pop a bit…especially when this comes next…)
5. Justin Bieber – Never say Never (no, we won’t Mr JB with your little mini Will Smith for company…spitting lyrics in a chipmunk voice is quite astounding for anyone. Brilliant achievement).
6. Britney Spears – Piece of Me (forget it’s about her talking to the paparazzi and the world at large…it’s actually about you going up against every form of departmental regulation, member of staff and stupid relationships that detract from your work ethic).
7. Taio Cruz – I Can Be (ah, A-level revision anthem this is. I can be bigger and stronger…I will persevere…I will…oh….)
8. Superchick – One More (this is fantastic for those moments when you’re tired and are just about to give up. Just go one more, yeah?! Christian references aside, this girl band rocks my socks every cheese-filled time)
9. Stars – Look up (fills the ears nicely after bolshy tunes to the point where you think of flowers and rainbows and a heavenly time when work did not exist)
10. Jem – I Always Knew (so what if it’s about her breaking into the music industry? It’s actually about you breaking into academic)
11. Florence and the Machine – Dog Days Are Over (because once this has been written they will be).
12. Diddy-Dirty Money – Coming Home (says it all really)
13. Eminem ft. P!nk - Won’t Back Down (because I won’t…I’m going to kick this…er…stuff in).
14. B.O.B ft. Hayley Williams – Airplanes (for those tired moments of quiet sadness when optimism is waning).
15. Jem – It’s Amazing (yes, we’re getting back on form).
16. Chuck Berry – Johnny B. Goode (forget the guitar for a second, focus on the piano. Does that not just make you feel a million times better about things?!)
17. Feeder – Buck Rogers (letting thoughts of Summer and future holidays, feeling the lyrics washing the optimism over you)
18. Long Beach Dub Allstars – Sunny Hours (this was recommended to cheer me up by a friend…works every time)
19. The Wombats – Let’s Dance to Joy Division (and indeed we shall celebrate the irony of it all, and we shall eventually get drunk post-essays and scream, “we’re so happy!”)
20. MGMT – Time to Pretend (summons childhood memories and general positive feelings of leaving home and entering university…ah, remember those days?)